Header

Header

Monday, July 7, 2014

The Greatest Print Of All Time.


Knight, Death & The Devil, 1513, engraving, Albecht Durer.  This copper plate engraving is from Durer's so called "master suite" of 4 prints which includes "Adam & Eve", "Melencolia", and "St Jerome In His Study". This work is a stellar example of the mastery of Durer's command of the engraving technique.  Durer was able to get the amazing values and delicate textures through his unparalelled mastery of directional line.  Hatching, cross hatching, contour, & cross contour are all on heartbreaking display.  They make you try all this stuff in beginning drawing class in art school.  I first saw this print in real life when i was working a print fair while in grad school.  It looked like the thing had been printed the day before. The impression had 1/8 inch borders, and the ink just glistened and sat on the surface of the non bleached paper.  Just killer.  I looked at the price and it was something like $200,000.  I thought about stealing it for a split second.  I could have made it outta that place!  When i came back the next day it had a red dot by it.  It had SOLD to a local collector!   Years later the same collector bought some of my prints.  He invited me over to his house and DAMNIT THERE IT WAS HANGING IN HIS LIVING ROOM.  I again thought about stealing it for a split second. So, you see, I have a special connection to this print.  I'm waiting to run into it again.  I was thinking specifically about this print when i was working on my woodcut "The Jolly Guano Brothers Ride Again" from the Bloody Bucket series back in 1998.  I must have developed a love of equestrian prints of all kinds because of Knight, Death & the Devil.  If you show a person or an animal riding something it immediately reads to the viewer as something regal and powerful.  As far I know, no one has ever been able to figure out for sure what this print means. If you must know you can try and find out HERE.  Basically, the knight either represents courage or some sort of Christian humanism.  It doesnt matter I guess, but it brings out the eternal 13 year old boy in me who loves stuff in armor and battles, and demons.  Most of Durer's work has that effect on me and it did from the first time i saw it when i was actually 13! He's the greatest printmaker of all time.  This is the number 1 print of all time.  I'll fight you over it! For more on Durer's "master suite" check out The National Gallery of Art's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment